As moms we all have expectations, don’t we? Expectations about what we will and won’t do as a mom. But the list of things I said I’d never do, but have since done or allowed my kids to do, seems to grow as they do. Often, I don’t even realize it until mid-act. When those #momlife moments happen, those things I catch myself doing that I said I never would- sometimes I cringe, sometimes I laugh, and sometimes I look around to see if anyone is secretly videotaping the debacle.
Here are some #momlife moments of things I said I’d never do (but might have done anyway):
- Watch my child drink out of a milk carton and do nothing but make a mental note not to drink out of it myself.
- Hide in the closet and eat a snack because I don’t want to share.
- Spit on a napkin to wipe my child’s face in a desperate attempt to be presentable when going out of the house.
- Feed my kids ice cream for breakfast.
- Hide an obnoxious toy and then help them search for it later. Sometimes it’s because I can’t remember where I put it and sometimes because I’m just playing along.
- Use the iPad as a means of bringing quiet and calm, even in public. (Hello peaceful meal at a restaurant!)
- Clean their rooms for them. I’m a firm believer that they should take responsibility for their room and stuff but I admit I have snuck in to pick up after them when I just can’t stand the mess any longer.
- Pretend to forget about a punishment I previously gave. Because sometimes a punishment doesn’t always fit the crime, but you don’t realize it until later.
- Apologize so many times. I didn’t think motherhood would be so hard and that I would be so bad at it some days. I never imagined needing to apologize to them so frequently.