Music speaks to my soul. It always has. When I was 3, I would ask my father to play “Annie’s Song” on his guitar over and over again, and I would weep every time. I jumped into band as soon as I could with a saxophone that went way over my head. Choosing the song playlist for my wedding was both painful and delightful because I so desperately wanted those songs to be associated with memories that night. I sometimes burst into spontaneous song since life really should be a musical, after all.
I appreciate all styles and genres of music, but pop music became a little less relatable after I became a mom. I still love the sound, but I can’t really say I respond to lyrics about being “in da club” or even sleeping in late. However, I’ve learned with a little imagination and change of perspective, you can sing along with some of today’s most popular pop music with truth and enthusiasm!
Check out my playlist and how I make the lyrics work for me;
When you finally earn enough stars on your gold membership to get a free drink at Starbucks:
- Song & Artist: “Cheap Thrills” by Sia featuring Sean Paul
- Relevant Lyrics: “Baby I don’t need dollar bills to have fun tonight (I love cheap thrills)”
- Song & Artist: “When We Were Young” by Adele
- Relevant Lyrics: “Everybody loves the things you do, From the way you talk, To the way you move”
After a bad haircut from your stylist:
- Song & Artist: “We Are Never Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift
- Relevant Lyrics: “And I’m like… I just… I mean this is exhausting, you know, like,
We are never getting back together. Like, ever.”
Going to bed with the sink full of dirty dishes:
- Song & Artist: “Renegades” by X Ambassadors
- Relevant Lyrics: “It’s our time to break the rules. Let’s begin…”
When you took two Benadryl and the baby won’t sleep:
- Song & Artist: “Hymn for the Weekend” by Coldplay & Beyonce
- Relevant Lyrics: “Got me feeling drunk and high, So high, So high…”
- Song & Artist: “Here” by Alessia Cara
- Relevant Lyrics: “I’m sorry if I’m seem uninterested or I’m not listenin’ or I’m indifferent.”
- Song & Artist: “Handclap” by Fitz and the Tantrums
- Relevant Lyrics: “Cause you don’t even know–I can make your hands clap”
When your husband puts his dirty clothes next to the hamper:
- Song & Artist: “Perfect Illusion” by Lady Gaga
- Relevant Lyrics: “Mistaken for love, it wasn’t love. It was a perfect illusion. You were a perfect illusion.”
To the petitioners at the grocery store:
- Song & Artist: “No” by Meghan Trainor
- Relevant Lyrics: “My name is “No”. My sign is “No”. My number is “No”. You need to let it go.”
The next time you think about changing the channel because you’re just not sure a new song makes sense in your mom brain, see if you can make it your own. If nothing else, I give myself a giggle now & then, and that definitely makes the chores more fun!
What songs would you add to the modern mom’s playlist? Tell us below!