I’ve been thinking a lot about health, wellness, happiness and… detox during this pandemic season.
And it’s got me thinking about Barbie… well, kind of.
Do you remember the Barbie Girl song by Aqua?
“I’m a Barbie girl in a Barbie world; Life in plastic, it’s fantastic.”
I have not been able to get it out of my head. I have been singing it all day, every day. (Send help!)
Except, I have changed the lyrics a bit …
“I’m a crazy mom in a crazy world; Stick to the basics, just embrace it…”
Yep. (And now it’s probably stuck in your head too.)
Staying home so much has kindly forced me to go back to the basics. Enjoying simple things like playing outside with my kids, making easy healthy meals, and appreciating a face mask at the end of the day.
Slowing down and simplifying life has made me realize what truly matters. Even in the midst of uncertain times, my love for my family and my commitment to our happiness and wellness remains steady. Happiness, health, and togetherness are what truly matter to me.
I don’t think I’m alone in this.
Yes, we live in a world that feels crazy and chaotic at times, but there is still beauty and goodness to be found.
When life is feeling a little rocky, the best way we can stay above the waves is by being our best and healthiest selves.
How you might ask?
We can do this by detoxing both emotionally and physically. Today, let’s take a look at physical detoxing.
The word “detox” holds many connotations, mostly negative. For me, it conjures images of colorful juice cleanses you can buy, expensive quick “fixes”, Hollywood buzz words, deprivation to your body, and something that is not maintainable.
Then what is a physical detox really about?
First of all, detoxing is about resting, cleansing, and nourishing our bodies from the inside out. Detoxing is removing and eliminating toxins from the body then feeding the body with healthy nutrients.
Any time we eat, we are either building our health or tearing it down. (Yikes!)
What’s the big deal about detoxing?
Detoxing allows you to gain more energy, improve concentration and digestion, and it helps reduce bloating. Detoxing also aids in hormone balance which helps with weight loss, better skin, and better sleep!
Did you know we should be detoxing regularly? I am talking everyday. Yes, you read that right and I will tell you how you can do that!
Here are five ways you can detox your body every day:
- Skin Care: Choose skin care products that are free of parabens, sulfates, latex, and petrochemicals. These chemicals affect our hormones that control our bodies development and reproductive system.
- Whole foods: Choose whole foods like vegetables, fruits, seeds, and nuts. As much as possible, choose foods that are organic and non-GMO and buy organic and pasture-raised meat. I know that may not always be feasible, but conventional animal products contain GMO’s, pesticides, antibiotics, and harmful hormones. So, if organic and pasture-raised isn’t an option for your budget, then hormone-free and antibiotic-free is a great alternative.
- Movement: Exercise helps support blood sugar, maintains healthy muscle mass and bone density, and supports your overall health.
- Hydrate: Water is essential for detoxification. Aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water. Our bodies are made up of over 70 percent of water, so without proper hydration our bodily function quickly becomes impaired. Water delivers nutrients and oxygen throughout the body and helps your body absorb vital nutrients and minerals.
- Rest: Quality sleep is essential to our health. Sleep plays a vital role in our body’s ability to heal and repair. It affects our growth and stress hormones, our heart and our immune system. Quality sleep can help protect our mental health, physical health and quality of life.
Stick to the basics, just embrace it.
We have the opportunity to detox every day by sticking to the basics and by making small, but important decisions every day. Making good food choices, using chemical-free cleaning products and skincare, drinking lots of water, and managing our stress will go a long way for our health and well-being.
Sounds so easy, but I know first-hand it’s a challenge to do this consistently. It takes courage to pursue this kind of self-care. It takes focus, determination, and intentional choices to create lasting change.
But, I promise that it’s worth it. You are worth it.
We may live in a crazy world, but life can truly be fantastic.
Sincerely wishing you happiness, health, and goodness today and every day!