I love hosting.
As introverted as I am, I’ve always wanted to be the type of person that invites people over to our house to share a meal, good conversation and maybe a board game. I want to be a great hostess.
My husband and I love being able to welcome others into our home. We share a vision of hopefully one day having a strong friend group we can gather often.
Hosting can be e-x-h-a-u-s-t-i-n-g.
You clean your house and set out extra chairs at your table and cook the meal and make conversation (did I mention I’m an introvert?) and by the end of the evening, you’re worn out.
Hosting can be so rewarding, but also so tiring.
Thankfully, I have a list of ideas that can simplify one part of it — the food! These are super quick and easy meal (or dessert) ideas that won’t wear you out before your guests even arrive!
Simple Meal Ideas:
• Tacos – just cook your desired meat and set toppings out (tortillas/chips, cheese, beans, corn, salsa, lettuce, avocado, sour cream, etc.)
• Cereal bar – no cooking required! Get a couple gallons of milk and a few of your favorite cereals from your childhood! OR have each guest bring their favorite cereal to share.
• Chili or any favorite soup – this is one that you can make ahead of time and just heat before serving. Look for some of my favorite chili and soup recipes below!
• Banana splits – having friends over for just dessert can take a lot off your plate (ha – pun intended). Set out ice cream and toppings (whipped cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, cherries, and chopped nuts are some of my favorites). And don’t forget the bananas!
• Sub sandwiches – no cooking! A few deli meat choices, bread, cheese, lettuce, pickles, and condiments, and you’re good to go!
• Appetizers – have each guest bring their favorite appetizer to share! Sharing the cooking burden can be so helpful when hosting.
• S’mores – we have a firepit on our back porch that gets lots of use in the summertime! Invite guests over for s’mores and a backyard game, such as Spikeball, corn hole, or ladder ball.
• Pasta – this one is as simple as boiling noodles and covering them in sauce and cheese! Can’t go wrong there. Add a convenient bagged salad, and you’ve got a great meal!
• Grilling out – give yourself a break and let your husband do the cooking! 😉 Burgers, brats, chicken, steak, fish, corn, veggies… Endless options!
• Baked potato bar – just bake potatoes and set out toppings (cheese, butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc.). If you want something more substantial, add some pulled pork from your favorite barbecue place. Yum!