If you are looking for a place to stay during a family road trip or an enjoyable weekend getaway destination that isn’t too far from home, Sky Ute Casino Resort has just what you need for a relaxing and rejuvenating time away. This beautiful gem, owned and operated by the Southern Ute Indian Tribe, is nestled in Ignacio, Colorado, a short 30-minute drive from Durango.
My family was thrilled to head out for a weekend away at Sky Ute Casino Resort. For this trip, we brought along four of our six children (ages 2, 12, 14, and 16). We left on a Friday evening right after dinnertime. Since it was a 5.5-hour drive away, we rolled in right around midnight. All of us were ready to fall into bed and get some much-needed rest and we were able to do that easily. The rooms were a welcome respite and the beds and pillows were extremely comfortable.
Willows Cafe Bistro
After a good night’s sleep, we were ready to take in all that the resort had to offer. The first stop was brunch. Located in the resort, Willows Cafe Bistro serves breakfast daily from 6am-1pm. You can also request lunch between 11am-1pm. I recommend the Griddle Combo that comes with a Belgian waffle, two eggs, and your choice of meat. The White Chocolate Mocha is also delightful.
Chimney Rock Playground
After breakfast, we decided to check out the Chimney Rock Playground Area located right outside the main casino doors. This fenced-in playground has a lot to offer from climbing structures and spinners to swings and teeter-totters. All of the kids enjoyed running around. Yes, even the teens.
Rolling Thunder Lanes
Next, it was time to head to the resort’s bowling alley, Rolling Thunder Lanes. We arrived right when it opened, which meant for a short while we had the alley all to ourselves. The older kids loved competing against each other and my husband and I enjoyed watching our two-year-old bowl for her very first time. Within the bowling alley, there is a small arcade that includes racing games, pinball, numerous crane machines, a small merry-go-round, Guitar Hero, Air Hockey, and more. Our kids definitely spent most of their time and money in the arcade. Who can resist crane machines?
The resort also boasts an 18-hole-miniature golf course. Once we finished up our bowling, we turned in our shoes and purchased a round of mini golf. While the mini golf course was simplistic in its design, it had some challenging holes and was a ton of fun.
Seven Rivers Steak and Seafood
Since we had a late breakfast, we didn’t eat again until dinnertime. We had reservations at the resort’s Seven Rivers Steak and Seafood restaurant, so we definitely did not want to ruin our appetites. Dinner was by far one of the highlights of our stay. It was incredible!
My husband and I started off with lobster bisque which was topped with a golden brown pastry and served with crème fraîche and caviar. For dinner, each of us ordered steaks. I opted for the Filet Oscar, which was heavenly. The Hollandaise sauce that accompanied my steak was the best I have ever had. I also must note that one of my children, who has never enjoyed steak, completely devoured his New York Strip.
All of the entrees at Seven Rivers come with two sides. You can choose from items such as Truffled Macaroni & Cheese and Jalapeño Cheddar Mashed Potatoes to Creamed Spinach with Crispy Lardons, Caramelized Wild Mushrooms, and more. Everything was delectable. Dessert was also a treat. Our favorite was the flaming tableside Bananas Foster.
Pool and Lazy River
After dinner, we decided to take a night swim. The pool area includes a hot tub and lazy river. Our two-year-old only swam for a short time, but my husband and older kids stayed for a couple of hours, closing the pool down.
Since we continuously had children by our side during our stay, my husband and I did not get to spend time in the resort’s casino. But we have vowed to return, just the two of us for a romantic getaway. I can tell you, however, that the casino houses hundreds of slot machines as well as table games and bingo.
My Top Five
Along with the food, which was scrumptious, here is what I loved the most about Sky Ute Casino Resort:
- Welcoming Staff: Every single employee that we interacted with was incredibly friendly. From the front desk agents and bowling alley attendants to the hosts and servers, we were greeted with nothing but friendly smiles and positive attitudes.
- Comfortable rooms with spacious bathrooms: My husband made it a point to note how relaxed he felt in our room. There was more than enough space for all of our luggage, extra toys, and a stroller for our little one. I was also impressed by the spacious bathroom, which included a large vanity, shower, and bathtub. Our room also included a sink, microwave, coffee maker, and refrigerator large enough for all of our leftovers.
- Clean environment: From the hotel rooms to the pool area, main bathrooms, and bowling alley, everything was incredibly clean. Traveling with children, cleanliness is important to me. I noticed and appreciated the staff’s attention to keeping the resort impeccably clean.
- Main Level Family Bathrooms: There were several single-use family bathrooms along the main floor of the resort and casino. I was able to use them near the gift shop and in the bowling alley. When you have a potty-training toddler who is still using diapers, family bathrooms are greatly appreciated.
- Variety of Activities: The Sky Ute Casino Resort provides guests with so much to do that we were able to fill up our entire Saturday with fun. All six of us were happily entertained and it truly felt like a vacation.